Monday, December 13, 2010

Prozac and chocolate

Well I made it through one of the worst withdrawals I have ever had and I am hoping and praying that it does happen again. Here are my symptoms that have been occurring nightly for the last couple weeks u deer 35mg:

-Rage: horrible fits of rage, even when I wake up in the morning and have nothing to be angry about. I get so bitter and so angry that I have a need to say horrible things. This in turn makes me very sad and I eventually start crying which again makes me angry! I read something today about the rage and short fuse which is so common to withdrawal. It said that the neurotransmitter that the withdrAwal of seretonin is affecting is the fight or flight response in our brain. So technically I am feeling such rage and irritation because the stress receptors in my brain are broken right now and trying to readapt themselves. I truly have an amazing husband to be able to cope with my constant bad attitude lately.
-Feeling like I am floating: this is a constant thing but it is easier to handle than the emotional effects.
-Menstrual problems: my period has always been normal, 28 days, one day of cramps, 5 days long, very predictable. The last two cycles have been HELL! I seem to have cramps 24 hours now and my period keeps stopping and starting. Before the period comes I have the most heightened pms symptoms I have ever experienced. Hopefully after I am off effexor it will normalize.
-dizziness and spinning when I lay down.
-anxiety and being scared
-trembling and shaking

So I have done some research and have decided to take 10mg of prozac along with the lower effexor dosage. I just don't see myself being able to do it another way. Today I took 20mg of Effexor and 10 of prozac, I will see if it helps later at night when the withdrawals are usually the worst.

Oh and I have been craving chocolate and lots of it, I learned today that when you are withdrawing your brain is low on lecithin which is in the chocolate. I have been wondering why all I want to do is eat chocolate all day. Actually I Want some right now.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Found your blog on the Effexor petition. I'm glad that you are sharing your story with the world, everyone needs to know about this.

    My best friend decided to quit Effexor cold turkey a couple weeks ago and she's going through similar things as you. I became aware of the damage that this drug can do when my doctor prescribed it for me for what she said was clinical depression. Really, I think I am just hypothyroid and the depression is a symptom of that. I took one dose of Effexor and it was the scariest experience of my life, so I threw the rest of it out. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

    Anyways, if you ever want someone to talk to - well, I will listen. :)

    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much Jamie! I can't believe I didn't see or respond to this comment until now.

    You are so sweet to say you will listen, in retrospect if you have anything you need to talk about please let me know!

    I have learned a lot from my experience and am still learning so if you have any ideas maybe I can help or vice versa. The world needs more understanding. =)

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete